Thunderbird DVD and book recommendations

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Thunderbird DVD and book recommendations

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 29, 2005 1:41 am

For anyone interested, I'd just like to pass along some great Thunderbird DVD and book recommendations.
  • Reach for the Sky IMO, the best Thunderbird DVD incl. the entire Nellis airshow with complete radio calls and in-cockpit footage as a bonus along with the hour long documentary and behind the scenes feature presentation of the 2000 team. Can be found at ShopPBS.com.
  • Thunderbirds - Skies of Thunder Produced by the USAF Thunderbirds during the 50th anniversary season (2003). Includes a high quality show with original soundtrack by Howard Leese and some radio calls in the background. Available included in a DVD Set at Amazon.com. For just the Skies of Thunder DVD: Browse Amazon.com and eBay.com
  • Discovery Wings: American Pride Collection. Includes one DVD featuring the 2002 Thunderbird team behind the scenes during their training season. Occasionally seen on the Discovery Wings (Military) Channel, but can also be ordered on Amazon.com.
  • We Rode the Thunder: The Autobiography of the Air Force Thunderbirds Their story... in their own words. 200 page book from the 50th anniversary season. Highly recommended. Available at M.T. Publishing Company.
  • Summer Thunder by Brian Shul. A behind the scenes look at the dedication, preparation, and pride the Team exhibits in their unrelenting pursuit of aerial perfection. Fantastic photographs by the author himself, in flight and on the ground. Available on Amazon.com and GalleryOnePublishing.com.
If you know of other good books, or DVDs with the Thunderbirds - feel free to add more to this thread. As always, check Amazon and eBay for many of these items, as they frequently become available for bargain prices.
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:06 pm

Just received my copy of Reach for the Skies! This video is by far the best video I have seen yet. I highly recommend ordering it for anyone who is interested in learning about the USAF ThunderBirds. Thanks LD! Terrific Recommendation! :)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun May 14, 2006 2:21 pm

More DVD recommendations to search for thru online shopping!
  • Thunder In The Sky
    30 minutes of the T-38 era
  • The Blues and the Birds
    30 minutes of the 1986 BA's and TB's
  • Aviation Nation 2004
    The performance from the last show of the year 2004, non production
  • 2003 Dayton Air Show
    TB show plus the BA's and SB's all at one show, non production
These last two in particular are great DVDs, I'd highly recommend:
  • Blue Angels - A Year in the Life
    4 hour documentary of the 2004 Blue Angel team from season start till finish
  • Thunderbirds - Thunder over the Pacific
    90 minute documentary of the 1994 Thunderbirds hosted by Candice Bergen
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Another DVD recommendation:
  • Summer Thunder - Featuring the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds! Click here to order.
    4 disc DVD set (each approx 35 minutes) of the Thunderbirds & Blue Angels. Released 2006.
In addition to the description provided on the order page, disc one includes mostly F-16 footage from 1983-2003 seasons. Disc two includes a lot of F-4E Phantom footage, radio calls and maneuvers flown during that time. The synopsis on the website link above does not mention all the glorious Phantom footage. That's really the brightest spot in this collection! Disc three is mostly the Blue Angels F/A-18. Disc four is Blue Angel history incl. some F-4J Phantoms and A-4 Skyhawk footage. All discs include a lot of in-cockpit views. The editing is so-so for all these dics, but the history and Phantom era is worth a look.
Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Book recommendation:
  • Thunderbirds by Martin Caidin.
    Writer Martin Caidin spends time with the team and flies with them in the 1960 season. Fitz was the Boss at the time. This book was written 1960, and published various years in the sixties depending on edition. This is one of the most enthralling Thunderbird books to escape in that I'm aware of. It is 260+ pages. Available at Amazon.com and Alibris.com
Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Dec 27, 2008 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:53 pm

LD,

Thanks for the recommendation on "Thunderbirds". I just received the one I ordered while you were here visiting, and I scored! It's the enlarged edition with photos and illustrations! ($6.95 including shipping).

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:41 pm

New DVD release:
  • America's Team: Being a US Air Force Thunderbird - PBS documentary and bonus clips from the 2006 team and season. Can be purchased on Amazon.com
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:10 pm

Guess what I got from my sister for Xmas... a $20 gift cert from Amazon!!! :D 8)