Lights?

Discussions about the U.S. Air Force Air Demonstration Squadron
Airshow fan

Lights?

Post by Airshow fan » Sat Jul 29, 2006 1:44 pm

Do the Blue Angels or Thunderbirds fly the demo with navigtion lights or just with flashing lights?

I know the Blue Angels, (dirty loop) have the taxi light on, on the nose gear.

AF
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Sat Jul 29, 2006 8:53 pm

I don't think so, it might cause too much of a distraction. Plus, it would be kinda pointless when-
A. There should be only 5 other F-16/18's in a 5 mile range from the others
B. They really only fly the show if it is VFR conditions, therefore, you probably wouldnt need to have lights on anyways. Other wise it is a flat show and they all fly together anyways.

Someone more knowledgeable than I answer this if I am wrong.

I know that the Snowbirds however do fly with their landing lights on. Kinda creates a neat effect when they come from in front of the crowd.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:22 pm

I've never noted the lights to be on for the Tbirds during a show, not even as much as the rotating beacons. The only time I can think of is during the old Wing Walk manv. the solo would have his landing light on and as they land they use their landing lights, but otherwise I cannot recall seeing any lights turned on.

LD
lqcorsa

Post by lqcorsa » Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:17 pm

I believe last year when the Blue Angels were leaving Seattle I noticed beacons on #7 as he was starting up and leaving earlier that 1-6 (who were way behind schedule by the way). I just love how they all come pulling up in their corvettes. Maybe they should paint them blue and yellow and have numbers on them :wink: .
FALCON56

Post by FALCON56 » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:37 am

The only time I have seen the Thunderbirds use the Position lights and beacons was when they are doing there "thunderbird checks"..Thats when they set a time on the program to do there pre flight stuff fuel, systems, smoke the list goes on. That probably happends a couple hours before the actuall show.. They also do there sound checks as well..The diamond does use there landing lights in the Diamond take over manuver and if number 5 does the wing walk but thats it...As far as the blues go.. Ive never seen them use there lights during a demo unless it was a "dirty" manuver then there landing light was on as wel...
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:32 pm

Thanks for the help all!
grab6303
USAF Thunderbird

Post by grab6303 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:21 am

Correct on all acounts. During the preflight checks us maintainers run with the lights on, during the demo the only lights seen are the landing lights on the diamond jets as 5 passes them. Grab