[2011-10-02] Virtual Thunderbirds - Live at VFAT 2011

Official Team News
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

[2011-10-02] Virtual Thunderbirds - Live at VFAT 2011

Post by Lawndart » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:58 pm

Virtual Thunderbirds performing Live at VFAT December 2|3|4, 2011

Now in our eighth season, we're returning with the tightly choreographed 2011 show routine flown to a high degree of accuracy. Much has happened since our last performance at VFAT two years ago. Our new demo is faster paced, flown at faster airspeeds, and with greater precision than we've ever done before, closely matching the real team. While all our team members remain incredibly busy in real life, we're excited and look forward to putting in the relentless work for the opportunity to participate in one of the greatest virtual aerobatics events in the world; VFAT.

For more information about VFAT and to watch us perform live December 2|3|4, please visit:
Virtual Airshows

We've been proudly sponsored by Thrustmaster for more than five years and currently use their new line of products for flight simulator enthusiasts, including the HOTAS Warthog and MFD Cougar Pack.
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Sun Oct 02, 2011 8:05 pm

Welcome back! :D Looking forward to an awesome VFAT. 8)
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Sawamura

Post by Sawamura » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:46 pm

Let's hope you guys will pass the quality control. ;)
Just kidding.

You made it really exciting, to register on the very last day.
Good to see you back, VTB! 8)
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Oct 03, 2011 5:58 pm

Will be great to see you guys flying again and you had me worried for some time there.
I was checking almost every hour whilst in France this weekend to see if you'd registered. lol.

I was chatting to the French TM team at the show and they are excited to see you flying at VFAT too. :D
Ells

VFAT 2011

Post by Ells » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:38 pm

Awesome job tonight guys despite the tech issues.
From your brothers and sister across the pond at the VRA.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:14 am

Thanks Ells!

The show must go on...

A few bumps and bruises here and there (on some maneuvers in particular), but at least we had enough mental toughness after getting the wind knocked out of our sails a bit. I'm proud that we pressed on and got to fly the Delta (even though Solos were running on fumes towards the end).

I could list half a dozen things that's happened this week that never happens during other/"normal" weeks, and about three or four things during this show alone that were completely random. It's live... What are you going to do? (Murphy likes it that way)! :lol:

Luckily the contingency plan was executed accordingly and what was seen of the Diamond and Solo(s) loiter in the basket behind the crowd is something we've briefed and planned for demos for many years. We've just never had to actually use all that time spent on abnormals and procedures very often, but it sure comes in handy to "rehack", do our ops checks, and set up for a remainder of the demo with whatever type of show profile we're able to continue flying. Luckily, we were able to resolve the issue in flight today and could finish with all jets.

Our biggest concern after a quick in-cockpit discussion of what options we had, and sorting out whether No. 6 had a good enough jet to press, was fuel state... The Solos don't have a lot of gas remaining towards the end of the demo on a normal day. That's part of why you'll see us fly the holding patterns (in a route formation spacing) in the lower 200-knot range with power pulled back, before resuming the demo.

Overall, we'll take this VFAT as a learning experience with a grueling debrief and hard look at how we can improve, but I'm happy we could finish with all six jets and stick to the game plan.

I've already said this elsewhere, but the VRA's demo was spectacular and well executed. Definitely showed the dedication and teamwork of all members! I'm looking forward to following your developments in the new year.
Ells

Post by Ells » Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:59 pm

Well, very much deserved respect throughout the community and people watching for the professionalism you guys showed after that incident and I for one am very glad you got to carry on with the show.

Again it shows how professional you are with all procedures.

Also, thanks for your kind words.