[2008-04-10] CPM articles by Mike Glynn, VTB #9

Official Team News
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

[2008-04-10] CPM articles by Mike Glynn, VTB #9

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:20 pm

Recently there have been several articles written by Mike Glynn, Virtual Thunderbird #9, and published in Computer Pilot Magazine. The following are excerpts from CPM's website and gives you a glimpse of what each issue has to offer:

February 2008
VFAT 2007 Event Report - Virtual Festival of Aerobatic Teams
One of the lesser known features of Lock-On is the quality of its netcode. Netcode is the application code that handles how data and instructions are passed from computer to computer during a multiplayer game. Not long after its release, small groups of flight sim enthusiasts began experimenting with formation aerobatics using the superior netcode of Lock-On. This has resulted in virtual aerobatic teams, and events like VFAT!

March 2008
How To Fly Like A Thunderbird – Part 1
The USAF Thunderbirds are one of the premier jet aerobatic teams of the world. For nine months of the year, this team of dedicated individuals thrills thousands of devoted fans with their precision and skill during the air-show season. This month we begin a series designed to get you on to the wing of Virtual Thunderbird One and show you "how to fly like a Thunderbird".

April 2008
How To Fly Like A Thunderbird - Part 2
Last month Computer Pilot Magazine featured the first in a series of articles on the intricacies of online formation aerobatics and, more specifically, how the Virtual Thunderbirds set about recreating the performances of the crack USAF team. This month we will be discussing how to set up your system to get the best out of it, and how to fly the basic formation maneuvers such as the roll and the loop from which to build up to flying the whole Thunderbird show.

May 2008
How To Fly Like A Thunderbird - Part 3
In our last two articles we covered the basics of online formation aerobatics to a point where the natural progression is to now attempt some or all of the maneuvers flown by the USAF Thunderbirds and begin to string together a show.

June 2008
How To Fly Like A Thunderbird - Part 4
In part 3 of this series we began to fly the Thunderbirds show with hints and comments from the 2008 Virtual Thunderbird team. This month we will be completing the demanding second half of the show, and seeing how the team is supported in much the same way as the real Thunderbirds.

Last edited by Lawndart on Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:44 am, edited 5 times in total.
Ells

Post by Ells » Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:16 am

Just got and read April's edition.

Great write up guys, looking forward to the rest of the series.
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Wed May 14, 2008 2:44 pm

Cover article for May 08. Time to celebrate again the great accomplishments of this team. Here's to you all!!! I love being a part of such a great group of people. :!: 8)

Con
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Wed May 14, 2008 9:03 pm

I've got to second that Convertible as it's really exciting to make the cover of Computer Pilot Magazine again! For me this year has been fantastic and learning the Boss role while challenging has been equally rewarding. I've got to say it once again, it's a true priviledge to lead our pilots in the Virtual Skies and to learn from such incredibly knowledgable people such as Lawndart and everyone else. It's amazing because while I've learned more than I could have possibly imagined about the USAF Thunderbirds all it takes is one discussion with LD to realize how much I have to learn still :)

Also, having been on the team for almost three years now it's been a real pleasure signing in to and interacting with everyone in the community. There are some terrific topics posted by the people who frequent this forum and I know that our team truly appreciates reading and replying to each thread.

Here's to the future and congrats to everyone on the team for making the cover of CPM again!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed May 14, 2008 9:11 pm

You guys (read: Rock) give me too much credit... It would never been possible without everyone's extraordinary teamwork!

Great work on the articles Cobra. The final two are exceptionally captivating. Ooops, forgot that the final one isn't due out for another month... :oops: I guess everyone else will just have to wait a little bit longer.

Cover or no cover, the proof is in the pudding! Well done! :)
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon May 19, 2008 11:39 pm

I just purchased this years articles along with the article from 2005-09. I can't wait to see them in print :D
Ells

Post by Ells » Fri May 23, 2008 5:29 am

May's edition landed on my welcome mat this morning and I was thrilled to see the trail shot on the cover, well done guys.
And again, another awesome article, great job.