For all Hockey Fans!

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:54 pm

I know this (tribute video) is a double post of my last one, but since then Forsberg made a final NHL comeback attempt and just called it a career due to his nagging foot injuries, some 25 surgeries in 8 years and not being able to play at the level he wanted to anymore (he would have still been among the better players in the league, but that wasn't good enough for him - in his own mind). I know Peter's always said he never considered himself good enough or a superstar even in his heyday, but he wants to be remembered for never giving less than 100% effort in any game all the way from his youth through his impressive NHL career. I think that's a very admirable attitude for someone who doesn't view himself as a star to begin with, but someone who felt he had to prove himself each and every time he stepped on the ice. Well, this weekend was the last time...

He didn't feel he could play the game he wanted to play anymore, and officially retired from hockey as an Avalanche player. Definitely shocking news, especially given the comments around the league since returning to play only 2 games. He looks like his old self on the ice and in great shape, but I guess only Peter knows his own body and felt he didn't want to disappoint his fans by not living up to his own [high] standards. Plus, who knows how much his ailing body is really bothering him... ?

He announced his retirement in a heartfelt press conference the other day, and there's already talks about Hall of Fame (which he will be eligible for in 3 years) and that the Avs will retire his #21 jersey in a pre-game ceremony next season.

Foot problems bring end to Forsberg's comeback attempt

There will never be a player quite like him again, with gifted hands and incredibly strong on the puck! Personally, having grown up and watched him play since before he went pro, it's a sad day for me, but you can't say the guy doesn't love hockey the way he tried and tried and tried to continue playing the game he loves so much!

So, once again, this one's for Peter "the Great"! ~S!
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:48 pm

Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 3:41 pm

NHLer and St. Louis Blues captain David Backes flies with the Thunderbirds. Backes makes it through the hard stuff, but as he relaxes for the landing he loses his breakfast...