Defining moment

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Defining moment

Post by Cobra » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:58 pm

The Australian Football Grand Final replay was held on the weekend. My team, Collingwood (in the Black and White) were expected the win in the first game but it ended in a draw, (only happened twice before, and no extra time in the Grand Final) so we had to go through it again on Saturday.

Early in the game, with the result in the balance, this was the defining moment. A kick to the oppositions star goal kicker Nick Reiwoldt who only had to turn and boot the ball through for six points, but he didn't figure on Collingwoods Heath Shaw.

Even if you don't like AFL or understand it, you can see what a critical moment this was.

Final result, Collingwood won by 56 points, for the first time in 20 years, and this is the highlight they will still be playing in 50 years...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VPq8FDLS8Wc
Cobra
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Equal Time

Post by Cobra » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:12 pm

In the interest of fairness, this was the highlight from the drawn game the week before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOpqPBEaoFM

Explanation: In AFL, if the ball is kicked more than 15 metres and you catch it on the full, without anyone else touching it, it is called a mark, and you can go back and have a free kick from behind the place the mark was taken.

Therefore, the ability to take the ball from overhead, a high mark, is greatly prized. This one will also be replayed 50 years on, not only because it was spectacular, but it happened with 6 minutes to run, and it put St Kilda ahead for the first time. Luckily Collingwood fought back and forced the draw.

My Grandfather played for Collingwood back in the 1920's... I bet he was smiling on the weekend.