Battlefield: BC2

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Battlefield: BC2

Post by Tailhook » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:59 am

Well, since we have a thread for COD:MW2 and recently Flashpoint, I guess I would open one for Battlefield: Bad Company 2. :D

Personally, I am looking forward to this more than Modern Warefare 2, mostly because MW lacks ability to use vehicles and destroy structures. ;)
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:47 am

Looks like fun - impressive structure damage model and explosive effects. Heard him say it was a "full 24 player server" - wonder if that's just for the PS3/XBox and the PC will have 64 like BF2?
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:26 am

I'm not a big fan of vehicles in games. Probably my realism side eats at me, but they just never balance out well. Either they're too effective or just annoying. Same as "perks" in MW1, I just don't like em. UAV and airstrikes are fine, choppers are just annoying.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:03 pm

Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:06 pm

Beaker wrote:I'm not a big fan of vehicles in games. Probably my realism side eats at me, but they just never balance out well. Either they're too effective or just annoying. Same as "perks" in MW1, I just don't like em. UAV and airstrikes are fine, choppers are just annoying.
I love the vehicles simply because it is much easier to cover a huge map like Operation Clean Sweep in BF2. However, yes, I cannot stand the perks in MW1 either simply because they are stupid. Yes, ranking system is nice but perks? Really?... I'm currently a level 15 playing people who are 55 and have unlocked everything...THAT'S FAIR! Not. :roll:
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 pm

I think one of the main reasons for CoD4's success is due to the ingenious perk system. It has added miles and miles to CoD4's "replayability". The game is incredibly well balanced despite the countless combinations possible via perks and classes, which also points to the fact that the perks never took over the game. A skilled player with nothing but the default perks and weapons available from the start will still own any lesser skilled player who's reached level 55.

I've found after reaching level 55 and unlocking almost all achievement awards three times over, that I tend to play more often with weapons readily available at the early levels and the perks have more of a psychological influense on my style (and confidence) of play than actual numbers being tilted in my favor. The better player still rules, regardless of perks in most cases. I frequently get owned by guys using classes you'd think wouldn't do too well, but 9/10 I will dominate other level 55 players who load up with the flashiest weapons and perks. For this reason, I applaud IW for a very well balanced game with the only real anomaly being hackers and the occasional glitcher that will ruin (unbalance) the game for everyone else.

If you ask me, I think it's a very fair and balanced system that also retains the replay value of the game for a very long time!

I enjoyed BF2 when it first came out too, but it wasn't balanced at all and unless you levelled up quickly as soon as the game was released, it became increasingly hard for new players to stand a chance. This isn't the case with CoD, hence my opinion re: perks. The expansion to CoD1 added Jeeps and tanks in the WWII setting and was actually quite enjoyable, but also created a one-sided fight as soon as one team got the upper hand.

Oranges and oranges... At the end of the day, the better players usually prevail and the rest start whining! ;)
Last edited by Lawndart on Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:05 pm

Hmm... I've always liked the COD ranking system and the weapon advances. It keeps multiplayer interesting when you unlock something new.

I guess I just don't like the BF series too much.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:39 pm

Lawndart wrote:At the end of the day, the better players usually prevail and the rest start whining!
Then we start getting into the realm of hackers. :roll:

It's a good thing school is in session now though because summertime is squeaker season and I am sure we have all had our fair share of them. :lol:
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sun Nov 08, 2009 3:08 pm

Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:40 pm

Last edited by Tailhook on Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:40 am

Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:55 pm

Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:22 pm

PC Beta available Jan. 28th!
Grab

Post by Grab » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:25 pm

So I'm in the beta but,

Can't actually play the beta until a patch or 9...

I have managed to load into a server twice, the first time the server was trying to decide where to put me, it was rubberbanding me around the map before I even tried to move myself eventually resulting in a BSOD.

The second time (connecting to a euro server) it was unplayable and laggy and after about 3 minutes I got a CTD anyway.

The server browser causes a CTD, every time. The play now function almost never works and results in a "connection could not be established" most of the time.

The 3 minutes I played in the super laggy server were promising, but as it stands this is a piss-poor console port on the same level as MW2 at the moment. Ironic that DICE jumped in to save the day for its hardcore PC following after the MW2 no-dedicated server debacle. If I had to guess I would say that they finished the port then immediately went beta after adding mouse and keyboard support, there is virtually no PC optimization yet. While mapping my keys I also noticed that there is no prone position into the game, and there are no plans to release a dev kit for modders.
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:06 am

There is no way I am going to bed tonight...all-nighter? I think so! :D

P.S., I didn't feel like waiting in a line of 100+ people to download the beta. They have a list of providers you can download from so I chose Game Servers, and currently downloading at 1.5MB/s!

@zeitzeph- If you took the time to read "the scroll" in the gray line under the main menu it reads they know about the problems with the Server Browser and to use Play Now instead. ;)