Operation Flashpoint 2

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Operation Flashpoint 2

Post by Ray » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:19 am

Anyone picking it up for PC? I believe I will be, looks very cool. I played the first one years ago and it was great, lots of fun. #2 looks awesome 8)

Would be fun if we made a VTB squad and played through the missions cooperatively or team PvP.

Last edited by Ray on Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:45 am, edited 6 times in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:32 am

The only sequel in my crosshairs at the moment is CoD: MW2! :mrgreen:

Flashpoint looks cool though. If I only had more time to kill...
Last edited by Lawndart on Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:37 am

Yeah I'm getting MW2 as well. Flashpoint is more of a total war simulation fought over a very large area of operations.
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:39 am

CoD: Modern Warefare 2 and Battlefield: Bad Company 2 are going to pretty competitive. The only thing I have against MW2 is I sure hope its got a longer campaign and that it is a somewhat frame hungry. I'm most likely going to get both, but being the Battlefield guy I am, I am going to play BC more. So sorry Flashpoint, better luck next year. :lol:
Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm

Steam has officially posted today that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is available through steam download for $39.99.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Can't wait for this title, looks sweet!
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:55 pm

Tailhook wrote:Steam has officially posted today that Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is available through steam download for $39.99.
Great Scott Marty! Must have!
Joker

Post by Joker » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:39 am

Here is the launch trailer for Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising

Sinister

Post by Sinister » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:38 pm

Ray,

I agree with the more realism full immersion combat sims such as OF2. I'm glad they took the time to do it right... No RUN AND GUN stuff...

But every now and then I have to humor myself and jump in with LD and PANTHER and the gang for some ROOKIE type action in CoD4. :lol:

Find me on xFire if you wanna get some OF2 action!

MinisterSinister
Grab

Post by Grab » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:26 pm

I really hope I am not too late in deterring anyone from getting this on PC yet.

I bought it on launch and I want my money back.

It took about 6 hours to play through the entire campaign in co-op, it was ridiculously easy, and there is no option to increase the difficulty. The campaign only uses about 1/3rd of the playable area in the game. The AI are either super ninjas and will one shot you from 500m or they are dumb as bricks and allow you to walk up and knife them while their buddies watch. There are more bugs in this game and it plays a lot more like a early Beta then a release game, the bug report thread on the OPFP2 forums is almost 1000 posts long already. Multiplayer doesn't support dedicated servers, and there are only two game modes for a total of four maps. Most people online quit early in the round and they are replaced by AI, by the time you finish the round there are between 6-10 real players left. If you are not the host good luck being successful in multiplayer, the host has a significant advantage. There is no anti-cheating support in the game, as well as no CD key.

The bottom line is this is a piss-poor console port where the PC took a substantial back seat. My suggestion is to follow their forums and wait to see if they patch before you go out and spend your money on it.
Beaker

Post by Beaker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 5:17 pm

Dang. :shock:
Sinister

Post by Sinister » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:21 pm

Well. you cant argue with that..

Even though I still like it, I wish it would be a tad bit better with the AI and strategic combat movement and engagements. Alot of Line of Fire Crossing which I bitch about even in Mulitplayer.

But somethings that bother me are

Cannot Traverse head while keeping weapon pointed straight ( cannot maintain positive SA)

Cannot Halt Vehicles while in any other position other than driver.

Cannot CREEP or SLOW WALK , its either a double time march or full on
sprint

After a long sprint and you are winded, your target acquisition is still precise and your reticle is perfectly still... it should be moving all over unless you are using a supported firing stance or platform

Cannot interupt current action for another. ie take out AT4 by accident and try to switch back to primary weapon, it sits there and goes through the whole action of unpacking then loading weapon on ground and then aiming instead of just stopping and going to the weapon I wanted.

I cant say that I dislike the game, because I do, but I do wish they took somemore time to really beef up the Combat and strategic platform of the AI .

Now im curious and have to check out their bugs forum
Grab

Post by Grab » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:52 pm

I was so sad when this came out, I really want to love this game, it has such a great foundation, but the execution is awful.

I'm a big fan of not being able to move your view while driving, yes that's right, you can only look forward.
Ray
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Ray » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:57 pm

zeitzeph wrote:The bottom line is this is a piss-poor console port where the PC took a substantial back seat. My suggestion is to follow their forums and wait to see if they patch before you go out and spend your money on it.
Yeap unfortunately I feel the same way - I really should have waited until I read the forums and seen people's reactions to the game before buying it.

I played it about 15 minutes and don't feel like playing it again. It's just completely different than Flashpoint 1, in a bad way.