Frazer wrote:Just don't put it on youtube Thumper :lol: j/k
LOL!!!
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:17 pm

Our latest project. :)

Tailhook
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Tailhook » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:56 pm

I gotta find the video of me playing chase on a 4 wheeler recording my friends on a golf cart (one driving and one standing on top) going off a ramp into a lake. :twisted:
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:08 am

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas on brakes. :shock: Disc brakes are basically out of the question because of the price and I don't want to jack with the install. So I was looking into drum brakes, because of the ease of using mechanical energy to apply them. Another option is an axle brake, but I have no experience with those. Gunner, I figured you could help me out... The current IN CASE OF EMERGENCIES ONLY brake is kinda like an engine brake, we have a homemade clutch system with pulleys and springs, so if we are going in a direction we rip the opposite direction which causes violent chain skipping, the belts on the pulleys usually smoke heavily, so I definitely need some assistance on braking! :roll:
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:39 am

Personally... I would go for an axle brake. This may sound goofy, but try contacting your local John Deere dealership and explain what you're doing. The guy at the parts counter or at the service center will get a good laugh and probably help you out. He may even have a junker riding lawnmower that you can cannibalize.

For that matter, your local junkyard is a great source for cheap used parts that you can re-purpose. You've got to get a real steering wheel... someone's going to get hurt with that screwdriver!
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:34 pm

Where do you get an axle brake for a one inch axle or less? I can't seem to find anything smaller than trailer brakes.
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Hey Tubs!

I think Thumper has the right idea as far as the source - junkyard all the way - but I'm thinking an emergency brake lever & cable tied to either drum or disc brakes - just tell the guy with the big dog what you are doing & I'll bet he'll set you up with some rusty junk for next to nothin. :wink:
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:10 pm

Try Googling "Lawn Tractor Parts" or "Go Kart Parts"...

Here is a link to Go Kart brakes I found on a lawn tractor parts site...

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gokaz_posibrk.cfm

Please put something on the end of the steering column... like a steering wheel. If you run into something you're going to skewer yourself...