Highway of Heroes

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Stryker

Highway of Heroes

Post by Stryker » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:17 am

The Ontario government has formally dedicated the "Highway of Heroes" by unveiling signs along a stretch of Highway 401 that commemorate the bravery and sacrifice of Canadian soldiers.

This dedication pays tribute to the solemn journey that fallen soldiers, killed in action in Afghanistan, take once they return to Canada and are formally transported from Trenton to Toronto.

Last edited by Stryker on Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rock
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Rock » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Good post Stryker especially on Rememberance Day. It is important for all generations to take the time and remember the sacrifice that our armed forces make for all of us to enjoy the standard of living that we do. At home and at school this week my daughters have been learning about rememberance day and the significance of the Poppy. We spent time looking up the reasons behind the Poppy and talked in depth about the wars that have taken place over the last century. Almost every year I personally, march with fellow firefighters and police during the Rememberbance day ceramonies. This year will be slightly different as I will have my daughters with me and will be watching from the sidelines.

The article that you posted in a separate thread was very interesting and I often wonder if other countries around the world even realize our involvement globally now and in the past. Personnally I think that we are often forgetten but what's more important is that we as Canadians don't ever forget the ultimate sacrifice that our brave solders make for us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8gRx8tWJmI