Camera lens

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Metro

Camera lens

Post by Metro » Tue Jul 01, 2008 12:35 am

I know that a lot of you guy put some realy good pics on the site. My son just destroyed my lens on my Nikon AF D50. He dropped it and now I have to get a new lens. I am looking for some aftermarket lenses that are of good quality. I see many brand names out there but not sure which one to buy. I know that Nikon is the best fit for my "Nikon camera" but am looking to may be get to a 200mm zoom or better.

Any suggestions wuold be greatly appreciated.

Metro
Rhino

Re: Camera lens

Post by Rhino » Tue Jul 01, 2008 1:33 am

Metro wrote:I know that a lot of you guy put some realy good pics on the site. My son just destroyed my lens on my Nikon AF D50. He dropped it and now I have to get a new lens. I am looking for some aftermarket lenses that are of good quality. I see many brand names out there but not sure which one to buy. I know that Nikon is the best fit for my "Nikon camera" but am looking to may be get to a 200mm zoom or better.

Any suggestions wuold be greatly appreciated.

Metro
Really, you can get any lens you want, all you have to do (or I would suggest the local camera store do it for you if they are reputable) is to change the "docking ring". The Nikon and Canon "ring"/mount(correct term)s are different.

Nikon's seem to go well with any of the Sigma stuff if you are looking for a 3rd party lens. I know they sell the 50-500mm for the Nikon mount.

I'm not a "Nikonian", I'm a strict believer in Canon, so I would even say get a new Canon 40D or the new XSi which is getting great reviews! (I know you asked about lenses, but I'm trying to bring you to the dark side!)
Phantoms Phorever!
Jonnyb

Post by Jonnyb » Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:20 am

I have the Nikon D40x with a Sigma 50-500mm lens, lets just say it's quite heavy and if you are wanting to take photos of aircraft taking off or landing, you will need a Monopod.

The downside of it is when you are trying to take a photo of a aircraft almost directly above you and your trying to zoom in, it can be quite hard to twist the 'twisty thing' as all the weight is coming down to you.

Overall it is a good lens but in order to contredict the wieght of it, you should buy a monopod.

Here's a few examples of what I have taken with it.
http://www.iat-aerobatic.com/public/php ... .php?t=671
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:43 am

Nice pics Jonny.

I've used the 50-500 and now I'm using its big brother, the 150-500OS and I've never used a monopod. I really don't think its that heavy, although, I do work out a fair bit. I assume however that since Metro is a former Navy stick that he works out a bit as well. :lol:
Phantoms Phorever!
Metro

Post by Metro » Tue Jul 01, 2008 4:00 pm

Yeah, I used to workout quite a bit in the gym on the ship. Not much else to do when your not flying. :( Now my house has become the gym and the exercise is chasing after my two boys. :roll: Constantly. :shock:

Thanks for the suggestions. Sound like the Sigma is a decent lens. You guys heard of a Tamron and is it any good? I am probably going to go with a 200-300 zoom. All I can hold at my age. I would probably have to work out like I did in my younger days to handle a 500mm "Hubble Telescope" :lol:

Metro
Jonnyb

Post by Jonnyb » Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:18 pm

It's not really an issue with muscle, it's the fact that trying to zoom and focus and keep the lens steady is quite hard. BTW using a monopod for takeoffs and landings, you will get sharper shots than holding it with your muscles obviously.