CoD4

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:47 am

Yeah I've turned it off now, didn't seem fair to me.

Hey Thumper, can I get extra salami with that :wink:
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:56 pm

Last stand is particularly bad as it incorporates "invincible frames" as they are called in fighting games. Meaning that in order to ensure that a player can pull out their gun and point it after death they have to create a period of time after player death when he is immortal. So the sequence ends up being- player dies, player becomes invicible while the gun is pulled out and pointed, player is no longer invincible, player is allowed to fire his gun. The problem is that the period between the player becoming mortal again and the player being allowed to shoot is less than a fraction of a second, so you have little chance of killing him (again) before he is cleared to fire his gun at you. This equals guaranteed shots on target for the last stander everytime. In normal mode this isn't a big deal b/c a pistol can't hurt you enough to kill, but in Hardcore just one well placed shot can insta-kill.

Just keep in mind that in all the competitive leagues it is banned. In fact you'd be surprised how many perks are banned from league play.
Last edited by Burner on Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:42 pm

@ Ells...lol.

I'll put that on the list too then guys, no martyrdom and last stand. ;)
Cinch

Post by Cinch » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:03 pm

I would just like some diff maps, thats why I have not played in a while. The maps are just getting old.

Hey I thought of something Thumper how about we set the server up with some diff maps, but post in this thread with the name of the maps and location of the download local. Then I might start playing again. I like a different types of maps Huge, small but running the same maps over and over again from the Box version sucks, nothing against you Thumper, its all against the developer and having the lack of!!

So I would like to see what everyone thinks about that, If Thump does not want to do it I will get my other pc or run the server on my laptop! Let me know and I will start downloading the "COOL MAPS"

Cinch
P.S. (I HATE THE KILL CAM AKA "LD & BURNER REVENGE CAM")
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:47 pm

Yeah diff maps would be cool, I'm up for that.

Revenge cam definately - I'm suprised at how many numpties stay in the same place after killing you, easy pickings boys, easy pickings...
Thumper

Post by Thumper » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:53 pm

I will shoot for setting up multiple servers. One with extra maps once we get a map pack put together that everyone can DL, one with annoyances turned off, and one plain jane HC server.

I'm down with having the kill cam turned off as well but I need to figure out how to set up the server so that you have to press "F" to respawn. The respawn timer is just as bad as the kill cam in that you can watch your killer for "x" seconds after you're killed. If the respawn delay is set to -1 to get rid of that...sometimes you get respawned right where you were killed and get nailed again. I need to figure out that "F" key to respawn thing.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:56 pm

Thumper wrote:I need to figure out that "F" key to respawn thing.
It's a stock game dvar, and could be found in iw_00.iwd, in default_mp_gamesettings.cfg:

set scr_player_forcerespawn 0
Ells

Post by Ells » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:38 pm

I've been playing the single player missions today, and WOW!!
This is one of the best mission objective based games I've played in a long long time.

And I absolutely love the AC-130 mission where you provide air cover - just lovely covered in jello awesomeness.

I'll do a quick vid at some point for those that don't have the game, or got that far on SP.
Burner

Post by Burner » Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:50 pm

Ells wrote:And I absolutely love the AC-130 mission where you provide air cover - just lovely covered in jello awesomeness.
LOL, yeah I was constantly torn in that mission between using the small caliber weapons to get a good view of the carnage below and blasting away with the large caliber gun for max destruction :twisted:
Ells

Post by Ells » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:07 am

Fire the large caliber and then zoom in to watch the carnage, that's what I did lol

I love the comments the other guys in the plane make too, I was wetting myself with laughter.

"Over by the car...get him...BOOM oh yeah!!"

I got the 3 fraps videos recorded of the intro, church section and village section (3Gb the second one) so I need to edit them and upload and post a link.

Now where's Stage6 when you need it :(
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:27 pm

Accoding to IW forums, 4 new maps coming later this spring and they're also holding a map making competition (separately?).
GameSpot wrote:By Brad Shoemaker, GameSpot
Posted Mar 12, 2008 5:39 pm PT

Last year was exceptionally strong for first-person shooters. Yet despite being one of the latest genre releases in the year, Call of Duty 4 towered over its competition. There are so many shooters released these days that it's hard to stick with an online community for more than a few weeks, but even months later, we're still obsessively playing COD4's addictive online mode with no end in sight. So we counted ourselves among the incredibly fortunate when we headed down to developer Infinity Ward's Southern California offices recently to check out the game's first downloadable map pack, which is coming later this spring.

Broadcast is taken from and expanded upon the Iraqi TV station mission in COD4's single-player campaign.
We got a chance to chat with IW community relations manager Robert Bowling--better known to COD4 diehards by his online handle, "fourzerotwo"--about the pending downloadable maps. The first thing he told us was the first thing we wanted to hear about this pack: The Middle Eastern and Russian environments will no longer comprise the entirety of the retail game's lineup. Now that the team has moved on from the single-player campaign (and has time to work up some new art assets), we can expect to see new Call of Duty 4 maps set in entirely new locations separate from the original game.

Well, except one of the maps in this pack. It's called Broadcast and is lifted from the Iraqi campaign "Charlie Don't Surf," in which you assault a television station where the enemy is holed up. Don't think the team just copied and pasted the campaign map into this multiplayer pack, though. It does contain the iconic, cavernous main room with its dozens of computer monitors and TV screens, as well as a big map of the world on the wall. We can tell you from experience that that's a great place for multiplayer firefights, with all those cubicles to duck down behind and all that equipment just waiting to get shot up by you or your opponents. A large-scale multiplayer match concentrated in that room is going to be serious calamity.

But Broadcast has been expanded significantly throughout its incarnation in the campaign. There are multiple routes into and out of that main room. Some routes lead up to the building's second floor, replete with smaller rooms and hallways. The map is mostly indoors, so air strikes and helicopters will be largely ineffectual--except up on the roof, which you can access from the second floor, as well as in the expanded parking lot area outside the main building. On the other side of that parking lot is another new, smaller building that you can hide out in as well.

The second map we played is entirely new, and it's named Creek. But there's a lot more to it than a simple babbling brook. This is a very large-scale outdoor map with a small cluster of houses on one side of it. In the middle, there's a huge ravine circling the perimeter with multiple levels of pathways up its side. Down below, the trail leads along the eponymous creek bed to a waterfall. Elsewhere along the base of the ravine, there's a lengthy and winding cave that cuts underneath the hill then out to the other side. As big as it is, there are a lot of places to go on this map; from prone sniping atop the cliff face to hiding out behind a rock in the tunnel, you never know where an opponent will be attacking you.

Creek is a massive original map with a high ravine, cliffside pathways, and a tunnel through the base of the hill.
Broadcast naturally looks exactly like COD4's campaign, but Infinity Ward's artists have done a nice pass on Creek to give it a distinctive look, with rocky terrain and various sorts of foliage that are more verdant than what you've seen in the previous Russian maps. It all feels a little sunnier and more pleasant than the game's other forested maps, too--at least until you catch a slug between your teeth. Because there's so much underbrush and shrubbery on top of the cliffs here, Bowling pointed out that it's a great map for you to use the sniper's ghillie suit for blending in while going for some sneaky kills.

There will actually be four maps in the final pack, though we can only really tell you about these two. The other two will be Chinatown, which is pretty self-explanatory, and Killhouse, which is a "bonus" map that we didn't get any hard details on (though we were told to think of the single-player campaign's initial training level as a reference). The map pack will be available on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3 in the coming months for an unspecified price. But interestingly, Infinity Ward hasn't decided how the maps will be distributed on the PC, where players are much more expectant of postrelease bonus content being released for free. Realistically, Call of Duty 4's multiplayer is so absurdly good that would have gladly handed over cash for whatever maps the designers could have phoned in--so we're especially glad to see them putting so much time and care into this first release.

-GameSpot
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:08 pm

I would have frankly loved to see them turn that Chernobyl mission into a multiplayer map. Plenty of buildings to hide in.
Phantoms Phorever!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:48 pm

I see that the console guys got new maps last week, I don't guess the PC group is getting the same treatment...
Ells

Post by Ells » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:18 am

Oooh broadcast, that'll be cool, I loved that mission.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:36 pm

Phanter,

I am a ps3 player and I did not get the new maps. Do I have to download those?