CoD4

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

CoD4

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:47 am

Ever since the very first version of Call of Duty (CoD) came out back in 2003, I've been a huge fan of this game/series and prolly spent as much time online as with LockOn, especially before devoting so much time to the Virtual Thunderbirds. If anyone is looking for a great shooter for the holidays, here's my personal endorsement for this game...

Call of Duty followed the likes of Return to Castle Wolfenstein, 2001 (the 3rd installment of the Wolfenstein series, behind one of the first First Person Shooters (FPS) ever to go mainstream; Wolfenstein 3D which was killer and state of the art back in 1992 when it was released. I still have fond memories of how awesome the graphics were back then when an Intel 486 processor was still impressive. Wolfenstein 3D, by iD software was pretty much the precursor to games such as Doom and subsequently Quake, also by the same developer - but that's an entirely different topic). CoD comes from Infinity Ward, who also developed CoD, CoD2, its expansion packs and now CoD4: Modern Warfare. There was never a CoD3 for PC (only consoles) and the only installment of the series not developed by Infinity Ward. IW also have Medal of Honor and Men of Valor (both WWII shooters) in their repertoire of games, released in between the first and second versions of CoD in 2002 and 2004 respectively. As you can tell CoD is intertwined in good company of other FPS games, especially early this decade when WWII shooters started becoming immensely popular. Ok, so now you have the skinny on who made this game, the background and in between other great FPS games such as BF2, Half-Life, CounterStrike and others... here comes CoD4! A close resemblance to the likes of CounterStrike and BF2, covering modern military, but for those who have played previous CoD game from Infinity Ward, "you know what to expect now" - only this time even better and more gorgeous, plus with modern weapons and storyline instead of World War II!

Definitely game of the year material, and I only just got started playing. If you have time for the holidays (which I frankly do not have - but I wasn't going to pass this one up regardless), check this title out!

Read the SimHQ review here.

and the Gamespot review here.

Two of many HD videos of CoD4 at Gametrailers:

http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=26468

http://www.gametrailers.com/remote_wrap.php?mid=28151

P.S. Last, but not least, check out President Ahmadinejad's Game Review HD, Qaddafi's Review HD, Fidel Castro's Review HD as well as the Exclusive Ragtime Warfare Trailer HD! :lol:

Not trying to sell the game here, simply spread word about a great game!
Last edited by Lawndart on Sun Jun 15, 2008 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:26 pm

I totally agree, I've been playing it online (ps3 network) and it's worth the price.

I personally play on my 40' Samsung with the HDMI cable and it's photorealistic, the way the person moves, it is awesome.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Sat Dec 01, 2007 7:56 pm

franc01sss wrote:I personally play on my 40' Samsung with the HDMI cable and it's photorealistic, the way the person moves, it is awesome.
I gather you meant 40" (as in inch) screen, although if you truly have a 40-footer in your livingroom I'll be in awe for a very long time! :wink:
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 pm

COD4 is by far the greatest FPS to date. I have it for the computer and have beaten it, I am now running back thru it on the next level and still trying to find all those darn laptops.
Burner
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Burner » Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:14 pm

We're usually hangin in Ventrilo playing either rFactor or CoD4. You should throw down with us some time Panther. We just play casual style, god knows we get killed in multiplayer way too much to be doing any competitive play ;)
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm

Burner wrote:We just play casual style, god knows we get killed in multiplayer way too much to be doing any competitive play ;)
I played in some 'hardcore' servers the other night. This mode removes your heads-up display, crosshair, UAV-map (except for when you actually deploy a UAV - by going on a Kill Streak...) and a single bullet can kill you! It was amazing what a difference in playing style everyone had, even in the otherwise mayhem-ish Team Deathmatch servers. Felt very real and people actually tended to work together much more and gain ground as a team, despite no objective like other types of servers have (Headquarters, Domination etc).

I have yet to start playing the highly acclaimed Singleplayer (other than the first Ship mission). Been too captivated by Multiplayer and gaining ranks, perks and so on. I'm still going through the learning curve and trying my best to keep my Kill-to-Death ratio, but there are so many maps and learning them all takes a while. Of course I had to go make a living flying an aluminum tube today, but I'm definitely in for some co-op action when I get back at the end of the week! 8)

P.S. My best kill streak to date is 19! That chopper sure helps keep your enemies at bay.
franc01sss

Post by franc01sss » Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:48 pm

Yes, I meant inches :P

My best streak is 13 :( but I almost have 1 death for every 2 kills!

I'm now level 27 on the PS3.
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:35 am

If you guys are playing at all this week, hit me up on MSN. Hopefully if my power doesn't go out with the 1.5-2 inches of ice we're expecting tonight and tomorrow, I will likely join you!
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:42 am

Heavy warfare going on every night of the week here Rhino! Grab some of your friends and join us. Would be fun to play mostly with people we all know; although we've played on full servers as well as in our own games! We had a VTB Grudge Match last night in a free-for-all (with only 3 ppl), but it was a blast! Cinch may disagree, IDK!? :P

P.S. He mentioned something about my stupid "lego gun" ( :shock: ) and the rest can be summed up with ****!!! :lol:
Thumper
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Thumper » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Yes...many a disgruntled expletive was uttered in the VTB Grudge Match free for all last night. Much of which I didn't even key the mic for if you can believe that. Of course, there was a lot more laughter last night than when I've played in other ded servers. Somehow being killed by, and killing your friends (virtually) is much more fun than going toe-to-toe with strangers.

To quote the Ninja (askaninja.com) "I look forward to killing YOU soon!!!"
Rhino

Post by Rhino » Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:35 pm

Thumper wrote:Yes...many a disgruntled expletive was uttered in the VTB Grudge Match free for all last night. Much of which I didn't even key the mic for if you can believe that.
Thats why you use voice activation.... :lol:
Phantoms Phorever!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:34 pm

Rhino wrote:Thats why you use voice activation.... :lol:
Even with a PTT, it's hard enough as it is to keep Cinch's expletive mouth diarrhea on the down-lo. I was laughing so hard I was crying several times last night... whilst still chasing him down to frag his *** again... and again. Good times!!! :D
Racer

Post by Racer » Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:34 pm

A very entertaining game indeed LD.
I am up to the 4th single player mission and it is getting more difficult quickly. 8)
I will have to have a go at it with you guys one night on multiplayer.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:36 pm

Hop in! We'd be glad to kill ya... ;)
skopro

Post by skopro » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Sure had fun knifing you guys the other night :D we should do it again sometime! :P