Welcome - The Rookie Thread

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Welcome - The Rookie Thread

Post by Lawndart » Wed May 23, 2007 1:57 am

New comer here (or seasoned, but somehow missed this)? Well, here's The Rookie Thread for you to introduce yourself to our community forums.

I saw one of these threads on another board and just thought it would be interesting to hear people in the community tell us a little about themselves and what they do in real life. Sort of an introduction to whom you are.

Me, I'm a 29-year old airline pilot for Mesa Air Group flying an Embraer 145 regional jet. When I'm out flying in the real world, I sometimes cannot wait to get back home and strap on a "fake" jet. I know I'm not alone feeling this way, otherwise I'd have to claim insanity! ;) Been flying flightsims and combat flightsims since back in the mid 80's, so I couldn't tell you how much time I've killed with a joystick over the years, (but it's a lot).
Last edited by Lawndart on Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:41 am, edited 11 times in total.
Ells

Post by Ells » Wed May 23, 2007 6:32 am

34 year old Health & Safety Manager in London, England.

I wanted to go into the RAF when I was young, but flunked a lot of things at school, so lost that dream, and regretted it ever since.

I'm currently sitting a Masters degree in Occupational Safety & Health and have recently had twin boys born in January :D
Gunner
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Gunner » Wed May 23, 2007 9:32 am

I'm 48 years old, I own a small construction supply company specializing in diamond cutting tools (for cutting concrete, asphalt, granite etc).

...Then I crawl into my very real cockpit, grab the real stick and throttle, and fly with real pilots...in fake jets.:roll: Oh well, three out of four ain't bad! :wink:
Last edited by Gunner on Wed May 23, 2007 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomcatboy48237

Post by Tomcatboy48237 » Wed May 23, 2007 11:29 am

I'm 17 years old, graduate high school in a week and a half, and I'm headed to the University of Michigan in the fall to major in Aerospace Engineering. :D
Convertible
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by Convertible » Wed May 23, 2007 3:04 pm

Hey, great idea LD.

I am 38 yrs old and am a Technical Program Manager in the IT department for ON Semiconductor in Phoenix Az. I too had the dream years ago to fly in the AF. Changed my mind when kids came along. :) Now I spend my time in the virtual air with the rest of you yahoos. :)

Convertible
BonJobie

Post by BonJobie » Wed May 23, 2007 4:35 pm

46 year old Captain with Southwest Airlines based in Phoenix, AZ. 'Been at SWA for 13 years, Horizon Air in Portland, OR for one year; USAF for 7 years before that: 4 years T-38 instructor, and 3 as a C-5 A/B Aircraft Commander. And to Ells, welcome to the twins club! We have almost 10 year old twin boys and a 6 year old boy. Most important of all is a wonderful wife who supports my chasing . . .no, living the dream of being a Thunderbird Boss/Leader. 8)

Bon

PS: Gunner, you crack me up!! Well said!!
STRIKER

Post by STRIKER » Wed May 23, 2007 5:58 pm

29 year old MH-53 Flight Engineer at Hurlburt Field Florida (For at least another year I hope)... don't say V-22 just yet... I haven't updated my life insurance.

Other than that I'm "living" the dream in the Virtual World where if you ask me or anyone else on the team, it's quite real!
Panther
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Panther » Wed May 23, 2007 9:29 pm

25 in a few weeks, SSgt in the USAF working on the F-16 Fuel Systems, stationed at Kunsan AB ROK. I have had the chance to ride in the backseat of the F-16 on a few occasions pulling 9.5's, breaking the sound barrier and flying the jet as well. Soon PCSing to Nellis, Las Vegas in September :D just in time for their Air Show :D

Currently flying the atari game "F4AF."
Redeye
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Redeye » Thu May 24, 2007 12:04 pm

53 yr old Captain/Battalion chief with the Delta Fire Dept on the west coast of Canada. 27 years service so a couple of more years and it's play time, all the time. :D

I have 2 boys, 22 and 26 yrs old. The youngest just got married and the older one lives with his girlfriend. My wife loves to read her books while I fly the virtual skys. Life is good.
necigrad

Post by necigrad » Thu May 24, 2007 2:10 pm

33 in Vegas. Got a degree in Culinary Arts long ago, decided I didn't like it, floated around a bit. Landed at America West Airlines in Vegas as a ramper, now a team lead/weight & balance/loadmaster. Rebelling and refuse to say I'm employed by US Airways. Loaded probably all of Lawndats co.s planes that are in America West/US Airways colors, and ALL (I think) of the America West fleet. Single Engine Private Pilot that hasn't flown in like 3 years.
Tubs

Post by Tubs » Thu May 24, 2007 3:07 pm

My name is Jonathan McKnight, call sign "Tubs". I am currently a student in high school, starting senior year august 24th of 2009. I am currently achieving my pilot's license. I enjoy playing paintball, fixing various items, flying (virtually and real), and enjoy doing physics. I plan on attending college after completion of high school. Thinking of major in a multimedia degree or possibly aviation, but hopeful to become a commercial pilot. I reside in Abilene, Texas.
Last edited by Tubs on Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
RFDGuy

Post by RFDGuy » Fri May 25, 2007 3:53 am

26 years old from Rockford IL....Work for United Parcel Service....I'm in charge of making sure all the package cars you see driving around (around Rockford anyways) get unloaded. All I ask is when you ship something please use more than one piece of tape to close your package... :lol:

RFDGuy
Ells

Post by Ells » Fri May 25, 2007 5:07 am

BonJobie wrote:And to Ells, welcome to the twins club! We have almost 10 year old twin boys and a 6 year old boy.
Thank Bon, it's good fun so far, we just hit the 4 months last week, lots more fun to come, oh and kicking their azzes in what ever flight sim is around in 10 years time. :D
Vindicator

Post by Vindicator » Fri Jun 01, 2007 12:42 pm

Hello everyone! Kevin Reid, 26 years old from Miami Flordia. For the past 3 years I have been working for DELL/Alienware as a computer tech. Been flying the virtual skys as long as I can remember :)
Radar

Post by Radar » Fri Jun 01, 2007 4:56 pm

Im 25, Started out in the Army as a blackhawk crew cheif...Spent five years fueling planes at the Hunstville International Airport, one of which days was the most awesome, we got to fuel the blue angels when they came for the air show...Now Im a Service Tech at a phone/data company.

Radar

(I have 2 real life callsigns also Suicidehigh, and Jester. Pilots are so mean sometimes...)