Callsign Help

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Airshow fan

Callsign Help

Post by Airshow fan » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:26 pm

Alright, My callsign for many things is "Viper", but what I am about to do, I can not choose "Viper" (it is tookin) So Could anybody help me with a list of callsigns? I picked this forum because I trust and know that you all will help me.

I need callsigns, please.
Airshow
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:51 pm

Some tradition and something to get you started below! Of course the coolest ones are the ones that actually have some personal meaning or a play on words, a characteristic you have or something you've done. The current Thunderbirds #1-6: Hollywood, Zen, Fifi, Dallas, Pfister, Pinto. A former Thunderbird once had a call sign "Sparky" for draging the F-16 speedbrakes on the ground (nose too high) during landing. Our very own Bon Jobie got his call sign from his Air Force days!

My two cents is that Viper is waaaaaay to generic and too many jocks use it!

LD

http://www.aetc.randolph.af.mil/pa/AETC ... 305103.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aviator_call_sign

http://309airborne.tripod.com/id7.html
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:19 am

Thanks LD. I knew Viper was very well known. Just one I like. lol. Thanks for the help
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 12:06 pm

Well I found out in "this" thing I am doing I get to pick my own.

Any Suggestions? Or mabey you all could give me a callsign :D Good idea?
BonJobie
Virtual Thunderbird Alumnus

Post by BonJobie » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:12 pm

Airshow, first of all, real callsigns, at least those in the USAF and USN community are "bestowed" not self chosen. All of the callsigns on the Thunderbirds were bestowed by squadron mates in previous flying assignments for some type of behavior, a variation of one's name, an exceptional flying feat, or flying buffoonery. Not to step on anyone's toes, even within our own organization, but to have a real callsign that sticks through one's career is the one that is given by your flying buddies. Having said that, I realize that unless you are in an active military unit that may not be possible, so you will have to choose one of your own liking, but you should know that if you were active duty, it would be looked upon as temporary until one was bestowed, with great affection and respect, upon you. :D

Callsigns are great part of our total aviation culture. And to all those that have callsigns that are "self appointed" your flying buddies reserve the right to change to something "better"! :shock:

Case in point, our very own #7 had a self appointed callsign until I bestowed one upon him after a memorable sortie together. . .and I am proud to say that it has stuck. Maybe if you talk nice to him he will tell you the story!! :D
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:26 pm

Thanks Bon.

Well this organization I get to pick what I want. I knew that in the military, you do not pick your own callsign. So I get to pick. I did some research and I choose, Penguin. Because, I have been ,most of the time, chosen to "test" things. So I convince them for them to do it. Most of the times the situation is pretty bad, (hurt, ect.) Real Penguins, actally throw another in the water, before they get in, to check for danger.

AF
Convertible

Post by Convertible » Sat Jul 01, 2006 2:22 am

Here you go... In a nutshell, we were coming in for the high-low hit and I had my canopy mapped to a button on my old joystick (pre-cougar days :? ). As the boss (me at the time) called for the gear down, I punched open the canopy and it shot off the plane. :oops: :oops: I flew around for a few more minutes to get some photos - thanks Bon :? :?

Convertible
Airshow fan

Post by Airshow fan » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:22 am

lol :D
Tailhook

Post by Tailhook » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:51 pm

thats a good way to stick up for your name. 8)