Birthday

Sit Back, Relax and Chat about Anything
Blaze

Birthday

Post by Blaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:13 pm

Yay today is my birthday! I'm finally 20! 8)

Buddy of mine is taking me flying today, I can't wait! Hope it's better than these things:

And to make it even better, on Saturday I'm gonna see the T-Birds at Sun 'N Fun! This is going to be so much fun! :D
Design is all about finding solutions within constraints.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:37 pm

That looks like a lot of fun! :lol:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your twenties, they go by fast. Maybe we'll see ya at Sun 'n Fun...
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:46 pm

Lawndart wrote:That looks like a lot of fun! :lol:

Happy Birthday! Enjoy your twenties, they go by fast. Maybe we'll see ya at Sun 'n Fun...
I'll keep an eye out! :wink: Geeze it's been so long since I've gotten to see them. The last show I went to was the Daytona Wings and Waves 2003 show, the one you have audio of in your files section. They flew a flat show with only one solo. :( But hopefully this show will be better, and I'm looking foward to seeing Combo flying as Lead Solo.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 pm

I lived in Daytona Beach and attended the 2003 Wings and Waves air show there. This was only about a month after the Split S accident at Mountain Home AFB, hence why they flew a 5-ship demo for the remainder of the 2003 season.

You won't like me for saying this, but I'm hoping for some low ceilings this weekend at Sun 'n Fun. I've seen so many High Shows the last few years, and I'm starting to miss the Echelon Pass in Review and the 2nd Sneak that they only fly in the Low Show. :wink:

Here's to a good show regardless! 8)
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:45 pm

Lawndart wrote:This was only about a month after the Split S accident at Mountain Home AFB, hence why they flew a 5-ship demo for the remainder of the 2003 season.
Ahh, gotcha. Speaking of the low and flat shows, I was wondering...(sorry this is off topic)...if I could get a list of the maneuvers that are flown for each show type respectively. I have your VTB Ops Manual (I was one of the lucky ones before it was removed) and it has the SOP for the High Show (invaluable information in that LD, it's like the bible to me! :wink: I can't thank you enough for that). I was wondering what the maneuvers were for the other shows so I can create 2 other Ops manuals to go with the one for the high show. Thanks, and once again sorry for moving off topic. :oops:
Lawndart wrote:You won't like me for saying this, but I'm hoping for some low ceilings this weekend at Sun 'n Fun. I've seen so many High Shows the last few years, and I'm starting to miss the Echelon Pass in Review and the 2nd Sneak that they only fly in the Low Show.

Here's to a good show regardless!
Here here! :D
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:14 pm

Man, you're making me work today... :roll: :wink:

Ok, since it is your Birthday, I made a sticky with all the Tbird maneuvers for the various types of shows. :D

The Ops Manual you're referring to is obsolete and incorrect (you heard it here from its creator...: "I take no responsibility for any erroneous information in it" - and there is). Hehe! :lol:

You likely have an even older version of it than the last itteration that floated around within the team. Just wanted to let you know, that the version last available publicly probably had many things wrong... (incl. some maneuver sequences and some radio calls for starters). You know the drill - use it at your own risk and please don't spread it around.
Last edited by Lawndart on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Thanks for the sticky! The manual I have is from April 2006. I also had the one before that one, and remember all the changes when the newer one came out. AFAIK the one I have was the last publicly available one, and don't worry, I'm not gonna go distributing it. :wink: Haha I remember all the ooh's and aah's I got while I was reading it during AFJROTC class! :lol: But anyways if it is a little inacurate, there's still a helluva lot of valuable stuff in there (i.e. callout summarys, techniques, sequences, etc). :shock: I guess if you have some free time (as if I'm not giving you enough to do :lol: ), maybe could you let me know what's innacurate (if you don't have it anymore I have the original file). I'm trying to get it as accurate as possible. No rush on this btw!
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:53 pm

Aside from a few callouts, if you paste the maneuvers from the sticky over the old show programs, I'm sure it will be... 98% accruate!?

Have fun!
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:04 pm

Just checked through the SOP and surprisingly it has all the maneuvers for the high show that you listed, with a bit of a mix. Umm...in the Call Sequence you have the calls as such:

Ground Show and Taxi Out
Ready for Takeoff
Fingertip Formation Takeoff
Roll on Takeoff
Max Climb - Split S
Setup Phase
Diamond Clover Loop Opener (WITH Blue Out)
Opposing Knife Edge Pass
Etc...

I'll stop there. :lol: Isn't this mixing a local high show with a remote show Blue Out opener? Just wondering so I can fix it.

edit: Actually I think I figured it out. The blue callouts are in parenthesis for the opener which I guess means they are there in case I'd fly the remote show, and in a regular opener I woulnd't call them and just proceed with the regular clover loop, hence the parenthesis. :?:
Last edited by Blaze on Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawndart
Virtual Thunderbird

Post by Lawndart » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:22 pm

No offense b17tony, but the 'ol Ops Manual is a closed chapter to me.

One of the reason I don't want to go through and correct things in it here, is because I left this document "as is" and it would be redundant for us to spend time revamping it now. Since I'm the one who wrote most of it over two years ago, I'd rather it not be brought up as gospel anymore! It never was, even if it still is fairly accurate...

It simply is what it is; a summary of research made to that point in time (sometime 2006).
Last edited by Lawndart on Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Blaze

Post by Blaze » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:29 pm

Lawndart wrote:No offense b17tony, but the 'ol Ops Manual is a closed chapter to me.

One of the reason I don't want to go through and correct things in it here, is because I left this document "as is" and it would be redundant for us to spend time revamping it now. Since I'm the one who wrote most of it over two years ago, I'd rather it not be brought up as gospel anymore! It never was, even if it still is fairly accurate...

It simply is what it is; a summary of research made to that point in time (sometime 2006).
Well, I still use it. :roll: Thanks anyway for it, it helps me out. :)